With September said to be the most popular month for us Brits to walk down the aisle, we thought it be only fitting to take a look at some weird and wonderful facts about weddings.
- Last year there were 247,890 marriages in England.
- An astounding 57.5% of all weddings take place on a Saturday in comparison to 19% on a Friday and only 4% on both Mondays and Wednesdays.
- It is said that us Brits believe that if you are to find a spider in the wedding dress it is considered a sign of good luck.
- According to English folklore Saturday is the unluckiest wedding day, which is highly ironic if you think about it.
- On average men tend to marry at the age of 33 whilst women on average marry at the age of 30.
- 42% of all marriages take place in the months of July, August and September making them the most popular months of Marriage in the UK.
- Engagement and wedding rings are traditionally worn on the fourth finger of the left hand because it was once thought that a vein in that finger led directly to the heart. Naaaww!
- Each year UK weddings are worth over a whopping £10,000,000,000!
- One of the most popular wedding cake flavours is the ever popular ‘Victoria Sponge’ cake.
- On average the bride’s wedding dress will cost over £1,300. (Better start saving!)
- Although rain might not be the thing you wish for on your wedding day, it is actually considered good luck according to old Hindu tradition.
- In the Czech Republic, newlyweds have peas thrown at them instead of rice.
- Valentine’s Day and New Year’s Eve are the two most popular days to get married...but not the most original!
- Stag parties were thought to be first held by ancient Spartan soldiers who kissed their bachelor day’s goodbye with a raucous party.
If you’re about to tie the knot or witness a close friend or family member say their ‘I dos’, take a peek at our range of wedding cards, banners and wrapping, to add the perfect touch to your gift for the lucky couple!